Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hello Seattle

I will be living in Seattle, WA next summer. From the end of April to mid-August I will be working on a research team. It is called The Flourishing Families Project. It is a huge research project done by mainly BYU professors to study well- how families flourish! They are gathering research to see how families flourish during stressful times and to see how families can help children as they grow into young adults. This is the 4th year they are interviewing these families (a longitudinal study). They are gathering info from families in Seattle and Provo (200 families in Provo). I am on the Seattle team which means that our team will be interviewing 500 families in the Seattle area.

I will basically be setting up cameras and distributing the materials to the families, but not interviewing them myself. I am not even sure if I get to be in the room with them as they answer the questions with the camera. The best part is that I get paid per week. We get compensated for traveling gas. I get to live in Seattle (Pike's Place here I come!). I get research experience and an in with professors on campus. It will look great on a resume, especially if I go to graduate school. OH, and it counts as my internship! That means that I can graduate with my BS in December 2010! The only bad thing is it will be the first time I'll live far from my family. I'm sad about that, but I guess that will probably happen at one time or another when I'm married and such.
To see more information about this project and what I'll be doing you can go here! http://flourishingfamilies.byu.edu/
Speaking of Seattle, there is a great band called OWL CITY. His popular song is Fireflies. Heard of it? It is GREAT! I bought his cd called "Ocean Eyes". My favorite songs are Hello Seattle, The Bird and the Worm, Meteor Shower, Fireflies, Dental Care. I've heard them be compared to Postal Service. He doesn't have a great voice. It definetely is an alternative voice. And the music is pretty techno. But I've really enjoyed it. It is happy music! You should check them out!
pictures from:
http://flourishingfamilies.byu.edu/

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. Love Owl City. And I love Seattle. You're gonna have so much fun. Pike's Place Market is awesome. They threw a fish just for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Noelle,

    I miss your blogposts.

    And I will miss you this summer. In fact, I miss you already. I wish I could drop by and see you when you're working, but i work at the same time, I suppose. Feel free to drop me a line - you know how to get a hold of me. You can email me, facebook me, blog me, call me, text me, see me, and if you try hard enough, you could probably send me a brainwave. :)

    I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete