Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I actually FOULED out

Basketball is kind of a silly sport for me to play. I still occasionally play it, although my skills do not match up with my height! When it should be viewed as a challenge to stop the other team from scoring (as in all sports) and then to pull out your best moves to overcome the challenging defense and score. So although it is this great physical and mental game (which I LOVE to watch), I usually feel like a fool playing it. I laugh too much, don't shove enough, give up rebounds too much, don't run enough-- AKA, not competitive enough! In church ball and Jr. Jazz leagues I had to work hard to get a foul. I don't think I ever got more than 2 fouls. Which sounds like a good thing, but it really was a lack of aggressiveness I think.

Nevertheless, I joined an intramural women's basketball team because it would be fun! Tonight was our first game. The other team was quite vertically challenged, but they ran us ragged! I felt like such a girl. I tried getting around the defense and they were like stone walls. I think the best words to describe them are scrappy, fast, smart, fierce...a good team. They were yelling things like "get your man" "watch the screen- switch your man/defense" "watch high post!" (Are they talking about me? as I'm running around the key trying to look cool and get open but to no avail). And I know what they are talking about, but I don't think about all that when I'm playing! And our team doesn't have the best ball handling skills. (This is what I'm thinking, "Hey person guarding me, could you back off a little bit? I need to look at my hand as a dribble! I can't think of dribbling and look for players to pass it to, and try to get past you. Yea, thanks, that'd be great!")

So we were getting worked and we only had 6 players, so substitutions were not really an option. But I was getting tired of short girls getting past me so I tried to be more aggresive. Actually, it came quite naturally. But because they are so much shorter if I reach for anything or move my arms towards them it hits them in the wrong ways like their hands- perfect for calling fouls. I like to think it's because they are short and I am tall, but it's probaly just because I'm playing sloppy. Anyways, at the half I had 3 fouls. Shortly after I had 4 fouls. My team was nervous because if I fouled out they would get no rest for the remainder of the game. Alas with 6 minutes left, I stepped in front of a drive and got a defensive foul. Typical! I have to remember that I can't try to stop a drive or run by putting my leg in front of them. Whoops. So I fouled out.

No biggy for me! But my poor team.

Anyways, it is kind of a momentous day in probably a bad way. I was trying not to smile at the sad fact that I was kind of proud that I fouled out. I don't think I have ever fouled out. So I am proud that I was trying to play and be aggressive! But they were probably pretty lousy fouls because I'm so out of practice.

Well, I guess the tides have turned and I will need to be more careful because I'm not Ms. Passive any more on the court. Or maybe I can blame it on the height theory...like everything else! Jk

2 comments:

  1. Yeah sure, the fouling was all on the height difference. Sure it was. You know you are just a crazy, vicious, out of control person. hehe. I would have liked to be there. That would have been fun to watch. Note to self: Never play basketball with Noelle. jk - Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel you are such a doll!

    I have to say that I really enjoy your blog. Your experiences bring me up to speed on the life I never had. Roommates, University Life, Work, etc. You make it look like a ball - your roommates are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete