Sunday, January 25, 2009

Doe, Rae, Me

I know, doesn't this post sound exciting!? Well, I went to choir practice tonight and got really frustrated so I thought, "Yea, isn't this what blogging is about...partly." My roommate is the ward choir director, so I feel obligated to go. I am typically one of those "inactive" choir members, where I will go for one month and then not go for two months, but then I'll show up again for two months and then not go for a month. It is because I get sick of it. I am not patient when it comes to learning music.
I don't play the piano very well anymore, but I try to utilize my talents where possible. My roommate doesn't have a piano player so I volunteered. I practiced for a couple hours to be able to accompany in practice, but I still struggled with the song.
Well, I got there a few minutes late and there was someone already at the piano. And she is a good piano player. She can sight read the music and can play it twice as fast as I can. She does a great job! No complaints there, props to her! I guess the green monster of jelousy just almost popped out of me, because I wanted to leave the practice! Can you believe that! How rude of me. I was just frustrated that I can't play as well anymore. And I was frustrated that I am asked to be ready to play the piano for the choir but then I get stuck singing. (I much prefer the piano over singing, although I am not great at either). So I start singing with a sour attitude on the verge of tears (I know, ridiculous), and there is only one soprano there- my other roommate- so I joined her. Anyone that hears me singing, or whatever I do, knows that I clearly have an alto range even if I can't follow the music. Oh, one more thing- we were singing "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing". Um, yea, I can bearly reach an E note, there is no way I was going to attempt to reach the high G. It was not a confidence boosting practice.
Okay, well, I've done my blog gripping for the month. Actually, that was probably enough for the year. Sorry, no one likes to read johny raincloud stuff. It's just that music has been such an important part of my life and now I feel like I am loosing it. What I actually think is happening is that I have always struggled with music and tunes, but that I am just becoming more aware of it (and I don't practice). You know that parable about the talents and those that used them got more, but the slothful servant that hide their talent had it taken away. I think that's a good analogy here.
Well, I guess I'll have to do something about all this then! ...That can be my goal for 2010! HAHA(kind of JK ;)

4 comments:

  1. Your talent can come back but there is a price to pay. It is called time and practice. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about it (So dramatic). Play guitar instead, it is cooler. PS how is that going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't listen to Travis, he is prejudice. Keep playing the piano and it will serve you well with your future family no matter how well you play and you DO play well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you play well, and you give yourself far too little credit! Remember when you accompanied me in church last summer? You did an amazing job!! Seriously, I think you are great. However, I can understand your frustration and think that you don't need to feel obligated to go to choir if it is a negative experience for you. Luckily it isn't mandatory :)

    Noelle, I love you and think you're great! You always try so hard to do the right thing and support those around you. That is so admirable. And I don't think you should beat yourself up for "griping" on your blog :) I think it is a healthy thing to express how you're feeling, and what better place to do that then on the world-wide web? haha. No, really, I think it is a good thing! I look forward to hearing more complaining from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete